Pages

Wednesday 24 February 2010

What we're reading and overdue library books


I took a look at our reading list on the blog and noticed that we've actually given up on 'Mary Poppins'. Not because we don't like her, we love her quirky, strange little world, but because we had a very overdue library book to read (the name of which I cannot remember, but I'll add it later).

The truth is that this is not our only very overdue library book and as a result I am reading 'The House of Mr Biswas' by V S Naipaul not 'The Quiet Girl'. I've pushed myself to keep going with this book and have been rewarded, as I have really enjoyed reading it (I am only half way through). It is set in Trinidad and centres on a Hindu (Mr Biswas) and his desire for his own house which really seems to be a search for his place in life, a search that most of us can identify with. Naipaul is funny and exposes people's weaknesses but we never dislike them, the characters are, like us, just doing their best to get where they need to be. I totally recommend this book, even though I haven't finished it yet.

As for the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman, we are now at the end of the whole thing and it has been a wonderful journey, there are so many good reviews of these books that I can't really add to them except to say that if you want your children to think about life, the universe and everything for themselves these books encourage that without question, and the writing is beautiful too.

One day we will keep all our library books together and remember to take them all back at the right time but in the meantime we will have to consider our fines as helping the libraries to stay open!!

No comments:

Post a Comment